Monday, November 21, 2011

My Project

It doesn't happen all the time at our house to watch 5 o'clock local news. Jason yelled at me "Come watch!".

They were showing a story about a man who received a bone marrow from a lady across the ocean, and met each other for the first time, 5 years after his transplant (and Dr. Hootie was one of Jason's doctors at UW). This is the link to the story:
Pasco man cured of leukemia reunites with medical saviors

Isn't it wonderful? To save someone? To live because of someone's gift?

I registered myself as a donor while Jason was receiving his bone marrow at the hospital. The chance of being picked as a donor is 1 in 1000. I felt like I bought a lottery ticket. I'm hoping I would be someone's match. Jason is extremely lucky to find a PERFECT match so quickly. There are so many people waiting to find their match.

Seattle Cancer Care Alliance has pediatric patients too, so we often see very young patients. It absolutely breaks my heart when I see a little child with no hair walking around in the hospital, hoping that he/she has a donor. One time I over heard a mom with a little boy (1-2 years old) whose hair was half fallen, saying that they are waiting for a donor for over a year. I was screaming in my mind "take mine!!!"

It's funny that when I have something on my mind, I keep finding things to inspire more about it; a movie about a lady who blogs, a magazine article about a website for organizing charity, a local news about bone marrow transplant... one more thing, my husband is a bone marrow recipient! What's on my mind?

I want 100 people to register as bone marrow donors from this blog by Jason's 1 year birthday (10/7).

I can register once, my bone marrow may be good for just one person, maybe no one might need my marrow. But I know so many people are waiting for it. But you, if you have not registered yet, could be a donor. Of course, there are a lot to concerns if you are actually chosen as a donor, and I do respect your worries and concerns. If you are not in good health or not in the applicable age group (I think it was between 18-65), you may not be able to register. But those who can not register yourself as a donor, can help someone else to register (because you have to pay to register).

Well, how am I going to do it? I don't know yet (I'm going check out the website from the magazine article). I don't even think 100 people read this blog. I would love to hear your idea how to do it. Do you think we can do it?!

Meanwhile, I would like to count myself as 1 of 100 donor from this blog.
(If you are already registered, please let me know, I'll count you in!)

Love,
Mayumi

2 comments:

  1. Mayumi,
    Glad to hear you are all doing well! :) I read your post and told my husband Alex about it and he signed up! We had been meaning to take the time to get him signed up but kept forgetting. It is free for people to join currently and people can make a donation toward the registry if they desire. http://marrow.org/Home.aspx is the website to sign up (Be the match marrow registry) Take care
    Beth B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth & Alex! Alex is No. 2 of 100! 98 more to go. I've been busy for last few weeks, but I'll get on it after Christmas (I hope).
    Mayumi

    ReplyDelete