Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 27 - Bone Marrow Biopsy

Jason had bone marrow biopsy today (Nov.4th). They are scheduled to for around day 25 & 85. The main reasons for the biopsy today were to see if the graft was going well and also to see if cancer cells were under control. I will report the test result in the future post when we get it.

It was his 5th bone marrow biopsy. Very brave Jason had done the first three biopsies without sedation. As you know, the marrow is IN the bone, which means a needle has to break through his bone to collect it. It is really painful, as you can imagine... Finally the last procedure on his birthday (9/15), I convinced Jason to do it with sedation-just because it was his birthday, and he had agreed that would be the only way to do it (of course!!!) - just like ( I always like to put my experiences in his situation) having a baby with epidural. I know some people choose to have baby natural way, but here we are with the modern medical technology to help you go through anything as comfortable as you can, take it!

The procedure went really well, in fact, it didn't hurt him at all, or I should say... he didn't care or he was in a happy place. He is still wondering if they got his marrow out. I got some pictures to proof to Jason and you.

These are the equipments. Few shots to numb the area, the blue one looks like a wine opener is the one to dig into the bone- you really twist and push into his bone.






The first shot always hurt, but he was already in a happy place, he didn't even flinch... Actually, he was mumbling about he wanted ice cream when it was over.




Here we go... She is digging into the bone.


When he had procedures without seduction, he was screaming when a doctor pulled the marrow out (I don't know why-it looks like just thick blood). But today, he didn't even move.


Just put a nice pressure for a few minutes, and put bandage on... Done!



The lab person was working side by side with the nurse to make slides with his marrow.



I hope this is not too "graphic" to you.
Thanks.

Love,
Mayumi

1 comment:

  1. I did my first couple of marrows without sedation and I would never do that again!!! My last marrow with Dr Druker was done with IV Valium, it was wonderful!! haha Thinking of you often!!!
    Karrie
    Kristi's cousin

    ReplyDelete