Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dear Donor

This last week I've been asking the Dr's, nurses, if there is any way I can send the person who donated their bone marrow a thank you card or letter. They said I can, but because of all the "privacy" laws, I would have to wait until a year from the day I received the bone marrow. I will send that thank you when the year is up but until then, I feel I need to send something now. So, here it goes:

Dear Donor,

A little over 2 years ago, I received a phone call from my Doctor telling me that the pain in my side and all the other symptoms I've been having was a result of a rare type of Leukemia call Chronic Myloyd Leukemia (CML) As my wife and I collapsed on to the floor in disbelief, my first thoughts were of our two boys, who were at the time 6 and 2. At that moment, not really knowing what else to say, I turned to my wife and promised her that I would not let this disease kill me. For the last 2 years my goal every day has been to try and live up to that promise. The medicine they have for this type of Leukemia worked great at first, but after 2 years of one medicine that stop working and the other two that became intolerable, we started looking for a donor. My two bothers were unfortunately not a match, which lead us to going to the national donor data bank, which lead to you. I have no idea why you registered yourself as a donor, but I'm eternally grateful that you did. Because of this gift you have given me, not only do I have a great chance of seeing my two boys grow up, but I can keep that desperate promise that I made to my wife that I would not let this disease kill me. Thank you for what you have done. I'm eternally grateful. You are my hero!

Sincerely,
Jason

P.S.
I'm still doing great! My Doctors are thrilled with my progress. Although I still have a long way to go....so far so good! Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Jason, thanks for sharing all of this. I am in tears as I read it. You are amazing, seriously, as are you sweet wife and kids. Best of luck as you continue your fight. Lots of love and prayers being sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Collette! That means a lot to me coming from you! Hope all is well with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason,

    Thanks so much for sharing this blog. I think about you and pray for you daily. My heart is very tender as I read your comments and it brings back so many memories as I see your Hickman catheter. It makes me so grateful for good doctors and modern day medicine that allows us another chance at life. One I too and truly grateful for. We will continue to pray for you. Wendy

    ReplyDelete